You’ve seen the movies, read the books, it’s time to ‘live’ the dream for yourself
Why Au Pair?
In 1986 the US Department of State established the Au Pair Program as an educational and cultural exchange programme with a strong childcare component. Our International partner is officially designated and regulated by the U.S. Department of State's Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs to be a sponsor of the Au Pair Program. Every au pair is issued a J-1 cultural exchange visa allowing them to participate in the Au Pair Program and live with an American host family for 12 months with the option to apply for a one time extension of 6, 9, or 12 additional months.
"Au pair" means "on par" or equal. Au pairs become an “on par” member of an American family, sharing a cultural exchange experience. The au pair's work hours and responsibilities vary greatly depending on the family's child care needs and schedule. The au pair may provide personalized child care of up to 45 hours per week and up to 10 hours per day.
work with a reputable and longstanding International au pair agency in the USA who is a member of IAPA, this assuring the best support structure whilst in the USA. The host families are located all over the U.S., with a concentration on the East and West Coasts. Local Area Directors live less than one hour from any au pair and host family. The Area Directors serve as a support for both the au pair and the host family. The representative will contact the au pair within 48 hours of arrival, meet in person with the au pair and host family within two weeks of arrival, mediate in case of problems and difficult situations and organize activities each month for the au pairs. South African au pairs are sought after due to their excellent English Language abilities. We are known as hard workers and are extremely trust worthy. We strive to provide the best quality service to our au pairs and host families.
As an au pair you will become part of the family, becoming a big sister providing childcare experience in exchange for a room, full board and a weekly stipend. This cultural exchange programme will help young ladies experience the way of life in the USA, while making new friends from all over the world. You will also be able to study a course of your choice and experience life on a campus. Au paring is a safe way to travel, especially for first time travellers.
America is so vast, there are so many new and exciting things that you can experience as an adventure of a lifetime. Shopping and sightseeing in New York, sunbathing in the sunshine state – Florida Keys, Disney World, Arizona’s works of nature the Grand Canyon, the Golden Gate Bridge in San Franciso, Lombard Street – the crookedest street in the world in San Fran, bumping into your favourite movie star in Hollywood Los Angeles, skiing/snowboarding in Vale and best of all experiencing a white Christmas, building a snowman with the children.
Included in the programme fee?
- Females or males aged between 18 and 26 years (you need to be in the USA before you turn 27)
- Valid driver’s licence or in the process of applying
- Matric or high school equivalent
- Passion and love for children
- Minimum 2 childcare references from non-relatives – extensive childcare experience, no less than 500 hours – depending on age
- Experience with children under 2 years is preferred, as least 200 hours
- Single with no dependents, never married or divorced
- Excellent English language ability
- Fit & healthy – no medical conditions
- No smokers will be accepted
- Valid South African passport
- No criminal record - Police Clearance is required
- A commitment for 12 months
Expected from an au pair
- Return flights from your home country to the USA
- Medical and Travel insurance during your stay
- $500 Study Allowance to study a course of your choice
- Weekly wage of $195.75 – normally tax free
- Private room and board
- Training and monthly meetings
- Group trips offered throughout the year
- Carefully screened host family
- 2 weeks paid vacation during your year
- Full support from your local area representative
- Sponsorship letter for the J-1 exchange visa
- 30 days to travel the USA after the completion of your year
- Option to extend for a further 6;9;12 months
- Au pairs are responsible to working for up to 45 hours per week
- 1.5 days off a week and 1 full week-end off a month
- Supervising and playing with the host family’s children.
- Awakening the children, getting them ready for school.
- Preparing meals, snacks, lunches for school going children and taking them to school
- Helping with homework
- Playing games, doing art projects
- Bathing, changing and dressing the children.
- Putting children to bed and being on watch while children are sleeping
- Driving children to school and appointments
- Straightening children's rooms and picking up after children, doing children's laundry.
|Registration fee (includes electronic police clearance and USA visa courier fee)
International drivers licence
Programme runs yearly January through to December
Once you have registered with EPIC and paid the registration fee along with the interview fee, you will receive forms that need to be completed and an interview will be done. Once all documents are completed, we will submit everything to our international partner and the Acceptance fee will be due. Your profile will then go into circulation to be viewed by potential host families. Each applicant’s time frame differs, the more comprehensive your application, the better your chances. Please make sure you choose the correct family and ask as many questions as possible. Once we have a match the placement fee will be due in order to start the process for the J-1 Cultural Exchange Visa whereby the Embassy requires an interview. Au pairs must complete a 32 hour training course prior to arriving at the host family’s home. Once the visa is approved, we arrange the airline ticket and your journey to an adventure of a lifetime begins.
You will have our full support during the entire process, even once you have landed not only from our partner who will mediate in case of problems and difficult situations but from EPIC work & travel.
Contact us for a free appointment to discuss the program further.